Landscaping and Snow Removal
Why you need a Contractor’s Permit
To enable you to conform to the municipal by-laws . If your company operates a private gardening, landscaping or snow removal business in Hampstead, you are obligated by law to have a Contractor’s Permit. Anyone caught without a valid permit is liable to a fine of $50 to $300 for a first offence plus court cost.* A repeat infraction is liable to a fine of $100 to $300 plus court cost.*
How to obtain a permit
You can obtain a Contractor’s Permit at Town Hall (5569 Queen Mary) or at Public Works (10 Cleve Road) during regular office hours. To register, please visit us in person with your Request for Permit Form duly completed, and the following information or documents:
- Company registration number
- List of vehicle license plate numbers
- List of addresses where activity takes place
|SNOW REMOVAL PERMITS: (Valid from November 1 - April 30)|
|$100.00||To register a business with the Town of Hamsptead|
|$100.00||For the first vehicle|
|$300.00||For each additional vehicle|
|$50.00 / vehicle||However, if the vehicle is equipped with a blower that is used to blow snow onto private properties, the snow removal contractor will pay $50 for each additional vehicle equipped with a blower.|
|$100.00||To register his business with the Town of Hampstead and to obtain one sticker for the first vehicle.|
|$25.00||For each additional vehicle.|
Method of payment
VISA, Mastercard, Interac or cash
Where to position the sticker
The permit must be placed in a visible location on each vehicle operating in the Town.
With reference to Article 6 of By-law 795-2, please note the following rules regarding snow removal:
- It is PROHIBITED to dump snow on streets and sidewalks or to make fresh piles of snow on the side of streets which have already been cleaned by the Town;
- It is PROHIBITED to remove snow from a private driveway and dump it in a pile beside that driveway. Instead, the snow must be spread out along the snow banks to prevent creating large piles of snow;
- If you are not transporting the snow, you MUST blow it back onto the owner’s property or push it along the side of the street next to the sidewalk. Please use the side of the street which has not yet been cleaned by the Town to dump snow.
- NEVER block passage on sidewalks and all entry points to neighbouring properties, i.e. driveways, walkways and pathways.
- NEVER bury fire hydrants or municipal traffic signs.
Every person who infringes any provision of By-law no. 795-2 Concerning Nuisance and its amendments is liable to a fine. In the event of a first infraction, this fine shall not be less than $100 nor to exceed $1,000 plus court cost.* In the case of a second or subsequent infraction, the fine shall not be less than $250 nor exceed $2,000 plus court cost,* in reference of article 12.1 of Nuisance By-law no. 795-2.
*The court cost is an administration charge that is imposed by the municipal court of the Agglomeration Council.
For further information, please contact Town Hall at 514 369-8200 or Public Works at 514 369-8200, ext. 8280.