Urban Planning

Permits & applications

Permits must be acquired before beginning work. This is necessary to comply with Hampstead’s urban planning by-laws and safety and security standards, while also protecting the collective and individual interests of residents.

All projects require a permit application. Please review the sections below before completing your application. Submissions must include necessary documents.

Information pamphlets

Construction Hours

Whereas residents want peace and tranquility on holidays and during certain periods of time when most are not usually working, it is forbidden to engage in construction work, of any nature whatsoever that has the effect of emitting noise outdoors (by-law 795) :

  • Before 07h00 and after 19h00 Monday to Friday
  • Before 09h00 and after 18h00 on Saturdays and Sundays
  • On holidays when most residents are not working : New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, National Patriots’ Day, Quebec National Holiday, Canada Day, Labour Day, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • On Saturdays and Sundays for the entire month of August.

Homeowners are responsible for getting a permit when necessary.

If the owner wishes to have the application submitted by someone else on his or her behalf, a power of attorney letter must be included with the application.

The performance objectives for the Urban Planning and Building Inspection Division are as follows:

  • When all the required documents have been submitted for a permit or certificate application for minor works that do not require Municipal Council resolutions, the Urban Planning and Building Inspections department of the Town of Hampstead endeavors to complete the review of the application within a maximum period of 14 days.
  • When all the required documents have been submitted for a permit or certificate application for major works requiring one or more Municipal Council resolutions, the AUIB service of the town of Hampstead strives to complete the review of the application within a maximum period of 30 days.
  • During excavation and concrete foundation placement works, as well as during the installation of piles for foundation stabilization, the AUIB service of the town of Hampstead aims to conduct weekly site inspections during this critical phase of the projects.

The following list shows the most frequent projects along with the necessary documents needed to obtain the permit (other documents may be requested, depending on the project):

Tree planting and felling
(ref 1001 art 159 to 171)
Driveway and/or walkway & Fence or hedge
(ref 1001 art 88 to 90, 94 to 99, 106 to 119)
Installation of a propane reservoir
(ref 1001 art 75)
  • Certificate of location
  • Arborist’s or tree maintenance company report
  • Photographs of the tree to be cut down
  • Certificate of location
  • Job tender and description of the work/fence
  • Site plan of the proposed project & layout
  • Specification sheet
  • Certificate of location
  • Job tender
  • Description of the tank and specifics regarding its capacity
  • Site plan of the proposed project & layout
Replacement of doors and windows
(ref 1001 art 36.1 par 6, 53, 56 par 4, 57, 59 and 1003 art 32, 40 par 3 and 4)
Interior renovations
(ref 1003 art 20 to 36 and 38 to 53 and 1010 annexe E section 4)
Foundations repair, pilings
(ref 1001 art 58, 156 and 1003 art 24 to 26, 29, 30 par 3 and art 49)
  • Specifications of the proposed doors and windows
  • Job tender
  • This request must be accompanied (with existing and proposed elevations) by a detailed plan if there is a change in color, size of openings or type of windows
  • Name of the general contractor (demolition and construction)

  • Names of all sub-trades (plumbing, mechanical and electricity) including their RBQ license;

  • Estimate, as well as detailed and ventilated description of the work;

  • Plan(s) in PDF of existing layout showing all elements to be demolished;

  • Plan(s) in PDF of architectural plans showing proposed layout; Signed and stamped by an architect and ‘issued for construction”;

  • Plan(s) in PDF of structural plans for the modification executed, signed and stamped by an engineer and ‘issued for construction”;

  • Plan(s) in PDF of proposed electrical, plumbing and mechanical layouts;
    Specifications of any mechanical equipment being installed ;

  • Permit application form completed;

  • Certificate of location
  • Job tender and description of the work
  • Plan of the proposed construction on the property with measurements and distances from property limits (signed and sealed by an engineer or architect, if necessary)
  • Implantation plan
Pool, spa
(ref 1001 art 84 to 93)
Terrace, balcony, porch
(ref 1001 art 52, 57, 83, 84 par 2 and 3 and art 60 and ref. 1003 art. 25)
Addition, new construction
(ref 1001 art 32, 33, 37, 54 to 63, 66, 68, 186 and 1003 art 20, 21, 23 and 24)
  • Certificate of location (implantation plan, example)
  • Landscaping plan showing the pool and identifying the trees to be cut down, constructions, accessory buildings etc.
  • Job tender and description of the work
  • Description of the fence (required by Town by-law)
  • Description of pool enclosure (required by provincial law)
  • Certificate of location
  • Job tender and description of the work
  • Plan locating the proposed construction on the property with measurements and distances from property limits (signed and sealed by an engineer or architect, if necessary)
  • Elevations of the proposed construction, dimensions, heights, cladding materials, etc.
  • Certificate of location, (implantation plan, example)
  • Site plan locating all of the elements installed on the property
  • Architectural plans
  • Structural plans
  • Landscaping plan locating what trees will be cut down/preserved, if necessary
  • Sample board of exterior cladding materials
  • Coloured perspective drawing
(ref 1001 art 79 to 83)
Installation of a garden shed
(ref 1001 art 70)
  • Certificate of location (proposed location of the system)
  • Job tender and description of the work
  • Specification sheet
  • Certificate of location
  • Job tender and description of the work
  • Plan locating the proposed construction on the property with measurements and distances from property limits (signed and sealed by an engineer or architect, if necessary)
  • Elevations of the proposed construction, dimensions, heights, exterior cladding, etc.
(ref 1001 art 186 to 191 and 1003 art 41, 45, 46, 48, 52, 56 and 1009 art 1.2.4, 2.1.3, 3.1.2)
  • Address of the building to be demolished
  • Name, address and telephone number of the homeowner or his/her duly authorized representative, as the case may be
  • Motives supporting the request for a demolition authorization certificate
  • Two (2) copies of the plan showing:
    • Location of the building to be demolished
    • Location and size of any existing structure works and landscaping on the lot
  • Height in meters or stories, gross total of the above ground
  • Floor area and gross total of the floor area of the basement of the building to be demolished
  • Estimate of the costs of the project
  • Two (2) different recent photographs of the building to be demolished
  • Description of the conditions in which the demolition will take place
  • Demolition work schedule and date municipal services are to be cut off
  • Proof of civil liability insurance obtained specifically for this purpose by the applicant
  • Written notice from the applicant discharging the Town from any liability in this regard
  • Measures to be taken to relocate the tenants, if there are any or date at which the building will become vacant, as the case may be
  • Preliminary program for reuse of the land freed up by the demolition, including the necessary plans to ensure compliance with by-law
  • The number of the Application to the PAC
  • Payment of applicable fees for a demolition permit
  • When required by the Director, report on the state of the building, prepared by an architect or a structural engineer, at the expense of the applicant
Roof repairExterior wall cladding
(ref 1001 art 50 and 1003 art 30)
  • Job tender
  • Specification sheet
  • Job tender
  • Specification sheet
  • Elevation drawings of existing and proposed facades
  • Samples

The Urban Planning and Building Inspection Service intends to prioritize, in the approval of permits and subsequently in the inspection of various construction projects, two elements representing known risks in the territory, namely:

1.0 Elements of foundations posing risks to the neighborhood

Hampstead is a town that is part of the Greater Montreal area where no commercial or industrial activities are allowed according to its urban planning regulations. Consequently, there are no risks associated with these activities that could influence municipal permit approval and inspection strategies. With a predominant residential use, the real estate landscape in Hampstead consists almost exclusively of single-family homes that cover the entire town. In this highly residential context, it is necessary to prioritize the risks that exist in Hampstead, which can have an impact on both permit approvals and inspections.

In the portion of the Island of Montreal where Hampstead is located, it is known that the clayey soil on which houses are built presents structural challenges. Over time, many buildings with unstable foundations (not stabilized by the installation of piles) have experienced various problems, including the appearance of cracks and water infiltration in basements. It is increasingly recognized that there is a direct link between climate change and the conditions that accelerate the settling of the clayey surface soils and their drying out. These factors contribute to weakening the foundations of residential buildings and other structures in the town of Hampstead. Another observed phenomenon related to the poor quality of the town’s subsoil is the problem of installing piles for stabilizing existing foundations. These can cause significant damage to adjacent constructions when ground vibration levels exceed certain thresholds. In recent years, this situation has led to legal conflicts between neighboring property owners.

For all these reasons, it is important that the city takes these realities into account in its urban planning regulations to ensure appropriate legislative oversight aimed at minimizing potential negative impacts of construction work within its territory.

The Hampstead City Permit and Certificate Regulation 1004 has been updated with the goal of reducing the negative impacts of construction and pile installation work. The city has also implemented a targeted inspection strategy for these risks.

2.0 Flood Risk Protection

In recent years, residents of the city have experienced flooding during heavy rains. Climate change is likely partly responsible for the increasingly frequent heavy precipitation.

It becomes important that every building within its territory is well protected against the risk of backflow. Plumbing installations must be designed and maintained to effectively mitigate these risks, and unnecessary rainwater capture in private systems should be avoided.

The Urban Planning and Building Inspection Service intends to be proactive by taking action in the field to ensure the minimization of rainwater backflow risks. The requirements of the Plumbing Code must be adhered to.

The “Request for copies of Architectural plans” must be completed, an electronic invoice of 75.00$ will be sent and must be paid in order to obtain copies of plans kept in the Town of Hampstead’s Urban Planning Archives. You will be contacted when the plan copies are received.

*Note that, the “Authorization from owner (Proxy)” section of the form must be filled and signed by the owner, should the request for plan copies be made by someone other than the owner of the property.

New construction, Addition, Pool, Accessory building, Foundation work require an implantation plan.

What is an implantation plan? *French only

For reference, the Town invites you to consult By-law 1004 Section 53-54.

Here below is an example of a plan:

To initiate a condominium conversion, the Town of Hampstead recommends that you read By-law 713.

A minor exemption request begins with an application made on the Request for a Minor Exemption Form to the Urban Planning and Building Inspections Department, clearly explaining why a minor exemption is being requested and what prejudices exist. In addition, two (2) sets of plans and a non-reimbursable application fee for the study of the application and the publication of the public notice.

(Applicants whose requests are refused will be reimbursed an amount upon receipt of a letter withdrawing said request, and this, before the public notice is published.)

Anyone other than the property owner requesting a minor exemption requires written authorization from the property owner.

At least 15 days prior to the meeting where the Town Council shall rule on the application, a notice will be published in a local newspaper stating:

  • When the request will be presented to Council for consideration;
  • That any interested person may be heard by the Town Council in relation to the application.

The Director of the Urban Planning and Building Inspections, presents the request to the PAC for review at a monthly closed-door Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) meeting. The PAC is a working group consisting of two (2) Town Council members and five (5) residents with an expertise in architecture and urban planning. Some projects may be required to be submitted for acceptance before the obtention of a construction permit. The group examines projects and makes recommendations to the Council when individuals put up a new building, want to expand or make modifications to the exterior facades or want to demolish a building.

PAC document requirements

Call for Candidates – Planning Advisory Committee (PAC)

The Town of Hampstead is seeking candidates to sit on its Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) for the duration of its mandate. The mandate given to the Committee by Town Council is to review matters within its jurisdiction in accordance with provisions in the Loi sur l’aménagement et l’urbanisme, RLRQ c A-19.1  and existing By-laws, to provide:

  1. Recommendations to Town Council, at its request, on all matters related to planning, zoning, subdivision and construction;
  2. Advice concerning minor exemptions (ME), site planning and architectural integration programs (SPAIP), specific construction, alteration, or occupancy proposals for an immoveable (SCAOPI) and demolition;
  3. Advice to Town Council regarding any other matter provided for by law.

The candidates sought for this mandate must be members in good standing of the Ordre des architectes du Québec, the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec, the Ordre des urbanistes du Québec or be professionals in a related discipline.

Committee members should be members of their respective professional associations and also residents of Hampstead.

Any interested person is invited to submit a letter of interest and resume no later than January 31st, 2024.


You may apply online.

Any selected candidate will be recommended to Town Council who, as the appropriate authority, will make decisions regarding the nomination, if applicable.

After due consideration at the public meeting, Council will take a decision concerning the minor exemption request. The applicant will receive a copy of the resolution from the Town Clerk and, if the response is favourable, they can complete their request for a building permit, subdivision permit, or certificate of authorization by submitting the necessary plans to the Urban Planning and Building Inspections Department.

2024 Planning Advisory Committee (PAC)

ChairmanWarren Budning
Vice ChairmanJason Farber

5 Hampstead citizen members known for their expertise in architecture and urban planning:

Daniel Turner, Engineer

Gabriel Kakon, M. Arch

David Hilf, B. Arch

George Elbaz, Architect

Martin Leblanc, Architect

SecretaryDirector – Urban Planning and Building Inspections, Secretary of the Committee

Demolition Committee

Abolished and replaced by the Town Council.

***Please note that due to social distancing measures, permit requests, architectural plans copies requests, and documents must be attached to the request. Permits issued via email. Payments by credit card, via secure email.***

For further information regarding permit and certificates fees, please refer to By-Law 1010 Annex E – Town Planning and Building Inspection.

Please call Urban Planning 514-369-8200 for further information.

Does this page meet your needs?